Belchamp Walter, Essex
Belchamp-Walter, a parish in Essex, on a small affluent of the river Stour, 4 miles W of Sudbury station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Sudbury, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 2194; population, 514. Belchamp Hall is the seat of the Raymonds, and contains an interesting collection of pictures. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Bulmer, in the diocese of St Albans. The church is a neat high edifice, and contains tombs of the Raymonds. It dates from the Perpendicular period, and the tower contains a very fine peal of 8 bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Belchamp-Walter St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Sudbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Belchamp Walter from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Belchamp-Walter (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Belchamp Walter are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: