Basildon, a township and a chapelry in Laindon parish, Essex, 2¼ miles NNW of Pitsea station on the London, Tilbury, & Southend railway, and 4 SE of Billericay, with a post office under Brentwood; money order and telegraph office, Billericay. Acreage, 1615; population, 179. The living is annexed to Laindon rectory in the diocese of St Albans.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Billericay|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Basildon from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Basildon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: