Barnston, or Bimston, Essex
Barnston, or Bimston, a parish in Essex, on the river Chelmer, 2 miles SE of Dunmow station on the G.E.R., and 7¼ WSW of Braintree. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office at Dunmow. Acreage, 1349; population of the civil parish, 166; of the ecclesiastical, 147. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £314 with residence. The church is Norman. The parish is very ancient, and is mentioned in the Domesday Survey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dunmow|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barnston, or Bimston from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: