Asheldham, a parish in Essex, near the coast, 2 miles NE from Southminster station on the G.E.R., and 11 ESE of Maldon. Acreage, 1310; population, 180. The surface is low and partly marshy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £338. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is an ancient building of stone and flint, in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Asheldham St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Maldon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Asheldham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Asheldham (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Asheldham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: