Ashdon, a village and a parish in Essex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, 3½ miles NE of Saffron-Walden, and 2 S of Bartlow station on the G.E.R., and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Saffron-Walden. The hamlet of Bartlow is in the parish. Acreage, 4156; population, 790. A place with a fine prospect and four barrows-the latter supposed to be sepulchral monuments of Roman chiefs-contends with Ashingdon in Rochford district the repute of being the battlefield of Canute's victory of Assandune, in 1016, over Edmund Ironside. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £610. Patron, Caius College, Cambridge. The church is an ancient building of rubble and clunch in mixed styles, and there is also a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ashdon All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Saffron-Walden|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ashdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Ashdon (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Ashdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: