Aldham, a village and a parish in Essex, near Colne river, 1 mile N of Marks Tey station on the G.E.R., and 5 miles ENE of Coggleshall, with a post and money order office under Colchester; telegraph office, Marks Tey. Acreage, 1865; population, 449, entirely agricultural. The manor belonged to the De Veres. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £303 with residence. The church is dedicated to St Margaret and St Catherine, and possesses a perfect 14th century porch, which is much admired. The parish includes the hamlet of Ford Street. Morant the historian was rector of Aldham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lexden and Winstree|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldham from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Essex is available to browse.
The Essex pages from the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 is online.
Online maps of Aldham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Essex online: