Wolviston, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Billingham parish, Durham. The township lies 1½ mile N of Billingham station on the N.E.R., and 5 miles N by E of Stockton-upon-Tees, and has a post and money order office under Stockton-upon-Tees; telegraph office, Norton. Acreage, 2447; population, 585. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1860. Population, 711. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £299 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham, who are lords of the manor. The church, dedicated to St Peter, was built in 1876, and consists of nave and chancel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wolviston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wolviston)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Wolviston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: