Witton le Wear, Durham
Witton-le-Wear, a village and a parish in Durham, on the river Wear, 4½ miles WNW of Bishop Auckland, with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington, and a station on the N.E.R. Acreage, 3189; population of the civil parish, 2626; of the ecclesiastical, 2601. The manor belongs to the Chaytor family. Witton Castle is the seat of the Chaytors, and includes portions of an old castle of the Eures built in 1410, and eventually destroyed by fire. Fire-bricks, sanitary pipes, and ware are manufactured here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £325 with residence. The church is ancient, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, and bell-cote. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Witton-Le-Wear St. Philip and St. James|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Witton le Wear from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Witton-Le-Wear (St. Philip and St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: