UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Winston, Durham

Historical Description

Winston, a village and a parish, comprising also part of Cleatlam township and Little Newsham village, in Durham, on the river Tees, with a station on the N.E.R., 6 miles E of Barnard Castle, and 11 from Darlington. There is a post and money order office under Darlington; telegraph office, Gainford. Acreage, 3050; population, 312. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. A one-arched stone bridge of 111 feet in span was built in 1764. The manor belongs to Earl Brownlow. Stubb House, Newsham Hall, and Westholme Hall are chief residences. There are brick and tile works and a colliery. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £366 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church, which dates from 1200, was partly rebuilt in 1849, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel (restored in 1895), nave, S porch, S aisle, and octagonal tower with spire.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishWinston St. Andrew 
Poor Law unionTeesdale 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Winston from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Winston are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL2
Post TownDarlington

Advertisement

Advertisement