Whitton, a township in Stillington ecclesiastical parish, Durham, 4½ miles NW by W of Stockton-on-Tees, and 1 mile from Stillington station on the N.E.R. There is a post and money order office at Carlton Ironworks under Ferry Hill; telegraph office, Stillington railway station. Acreage, 784; population, 1081. The parish church is in this township, was built in 1879, and is in the Gothic style. There are also a Wesleyan chapel built in 1883, and the Cariton Ironworks, connected with which is a working-men's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Whitton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: