UK Genealogy Archives logo

Waldridge, Durham

Historical Description

Waldridge, a township in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham, 5½ miles N by W of Durham, and 2½ from Chester-le-Street station on the N.E.R. There is a post and money order office of the name of Waldridge Colliery, under Chester-le-Street; telegraph office, Chester-le-Street. Acreage, 752; population, 1961. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. There are a mission church erected in 1886, Primitive Methodist and Methodist New Connexion chapels, and an extensive colliery.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionChester-le-Street 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Waldridge from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Waldridge are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH2
Post TownChester Le Street