Tunstall, a township in Silksworth ecclesiastical parish, formed out of Bishop Wearmouth parish, Durham. Post town, Sunderland; money order and telegraph office, New Silksworth. Acreage, 808; population, 4503. There is a parish council consisting of fourteen members. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The church ia situated in Silksworth township. There are Roman Catholic and Primitive Methodist chapels, a church institute, mission hall, and reading-room. Maiden Paps here are two round-topped limestone rocks, which serve as a landmark to mariners. entering Sunderland harbour. See SUNDERLAND.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Bishop Wearmouth|
|Poor Law union||Sunderland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tunstall from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Tunstall are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: