Trimdon, a village and a parish in Durham, on the Hartlepool and Ferryhill railway, 6 miles E of Ferryhill. The parish comprises Trimdon Grange and Trimdon Colliery. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.) of the name of Trimdon Grange. Acreage, 2494; population, 4136; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2328. There is a parish council consisting of fifteen members. There are limestone quarries and lime kilns. The manor belongs to the Beckwith family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £206. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style, and was restored in 1887. There are a mission church erected in 1886, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, the latter rebuilt in 1892, and a temperance hall, erected in 1888, at Trimdon Grange. There are also a Roman Catholic church, a chapel for Christian Lay Brethren, built in 1891, and two police stations. Trimdon colliery is included in the ecclesiastical parish of Deaf Hill with Langdale.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Trimdon St. Mary Magdalene|
|Poor Law union||Sedgefield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Trimdon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Trimdon (St. Mary Magdalene))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Trimdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: