Milton, a village and a parish in Berks. The village stands near a small affluent of the river Thames, 1 mile NE of Steventon station on the main line of the G.W.R., and 4 miles S by W of Abingdon, and has a post office under Steventon (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Steventon. The parish comprises 1466 acres; population, 420. The parish council consists of five members. The manor, with Milton House, belongs to the Barrett family. Milton House is a Tudor edifice built by Inigo Jones, and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel with ancient stained glass windows. Milton Hill is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net value, £359 with residence. The church is a small building of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, N aisle, S porch, and an embattled western tower with five bells.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Milton St. Blaise|
|Poor Law union||Abingdon|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The earliest date of the register is 1654.
Church of England
St. Blaise (parish church)
The church of St. Blaise is a small building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, north aisle, south porch, and an embattled western tower of the Early Decorated period, containing 6 bells and 8 clock; the church was restored throughout, with the exception of the tower, in 1851; there are two memorial windows to members of the Bowles family, with an east and two other stained windows given by the late Ven. Charles Carr Clerke D.D. Archdeacon and Canon of Oxford, who was 39 years rector here, and died 24th December, 1877; the stone pulpit and a brass plate in the chancel are also memorials to the Archdeacon, and there is a brass to the Rev. Canon George Marshall M.A. rector here 1875-97; the reredos of carved oak with painted panels is a memorial to the late Mr. R. S. Lambert; the church affords 250 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Milton was in Abingdon Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Milton (St. Blaise))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
Milton House is a handsome mansion in the Jacobean style, built from designs by Inigo Jones; in the house is a Catholic chapel.
Milton Hill is a mansion standing in a beautifully wooded park of 50 acres. It was used as a military hospital during the first World War, the expenses of which were borne by A. Mortimer Singer esq., (the then owner), and Washington Singer esq.
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Milton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.