Thornley (Kelloe), Durham
Thornley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Kelloe parish, Durham. The village stands on a branch of the N.E.R., 6½ miles ESE of Durham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Trimdon Grange (R.S.O.), a railway station, a reading-room and institute, a church, and Roman Catholic, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. The township comprises 1148 acres; population, 2070. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1844, and comprises the colliery village of Wheatley Hill. Population, 2811. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church, in the Early English style, was restored in 1883; it consists of chancel, nave, western porch, and bell turret.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Easington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thornley (Kelloe) from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: