UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tanfield, Durham

Historical Description

Tanfield, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham. The village stands 2½ miles ESE of Lintz Green railway station, and 7 SW of Gateshead. It is connected by mineral railways with the Tyne, and has a post office under Tantobie (R.S.O.); money order office, Tantobie;-telegraph office, Burnopfield. The township includes Burnopfield, Kip Hill, and part of Beamish, and is in Chester-le-Street parish. Acreage, 6636; population, 12,016; of the ecclesiastical parish, 3315. There is an urban district council consisting of twelve members. There are several collieries, coke ovens, stone quarries, and brick and tile works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £269 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is in the Perpendicular style, was almost entirely rebuilt in 1749, and restored in 1879. It consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled western tower, and contains several memorial windows. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan chapels. Burnopfield and Beamish were formed into separate ecclesiastical parishes in 1871 and 1873.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishChester le Street 
Poor Law unionLanchester 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tanfield from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Tanfield are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDH9
Post TownStanley