Streatlam and Stainton, Durham
Streatlam and Stainton, a township in Barnard Castle parish, Durham. It comprises the village of Stainton and Streatlam Castle and Park, and lies about 2 miles from Barnard Castle station on the N.E.R. There is a post office of the name of Streatlam under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Barnard Castle. Acreage, 2938; population, 299. Streatlam Castle, the seat of the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner, stands in a well-timbered park, is in the Italian style, and contains some fine pictures by old masters. Divine service is conducted in the national school at Stainton, where there is also a small Wesleyan chapel. There are several freestone quarries.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Streatlam and Stainton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Streatlam cum Stainton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: