Stranton, a township and a parish in Durham. The township lies on the coast, and contains the hamlets of East and West Stranton, and West Hartlepool town, railway station, and harbour. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under West Hartlepool. Acreage, 2770 of land and 223 of water and foreshore; population, 41,826. The parish contains also Seaton Carew and Brierton townships, chiefly in the borough of West Hartlepool. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of All Saints, 14,976. Under the Local Government Act of 1894 the name of that portion of the civil parish of Stranton (including a large proportion of the ecclesiastical parish) within the borough of West Hartlepool was altered to West Hartlepool, the name Stranton for civil purposes applying only to the rural portion. The church, however, is situated in the borough of West Hartlepool, and ecclesiastically the term Stranton applies to the greater part of the borough, of which it is the mother parish. The living of All Saints is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £262 with residence. The church is good, and it occupies the site of a more ancient church given by Robert Bruce to Guisborough priory about 1154. It is chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. The interior was restored in 1889 when a new organ was erected. The vicarages of Christchurch, St James', St Paul's, St Aidan's, and Seaton Carew are separate benefices. See HARTLEPOOL, WEST.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Stranton All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stranton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Stranton (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Stranton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: