Stockley, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durham, 1½ mile from Brancepeth station on the N.E.R. Post town, Oakenshaw; money order and telegraph office, Willington. The township includes the village of Oakenshaw. Acreage, 2343; population, 2697. The inhabitants are employed in neighbouring collieries. There are Primitive Methodist and Methodist New Connexion chapels, a mission church, and a reading-room with library.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stockley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Stockley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: