Stillington, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Durham, with a station on the N.E.R., 6 miles WNW of Stockton-on-Tees. Post town, Ferry Hill; money order office, Carlton Ironworks; telegraph office, Stillington railway station. Acreage of township, 1153; population, 65. The ecclesiastical parish was formed in 1872 and extended in 1886. It comprises the townships of Stillington, Whitton, and Foxton-cum-Shotton. Population, 1198. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £228 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church is in Whitton township, was erected in 1879, is in the Gothic style, and consists of nave, S aisle, small transept, S porch, and bell turret. The vicarage was erected in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Red Marshall|
|Poor Law union||Sedgefield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Stillington from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Stillington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: