Staindrop, a town, a township, and a parish in Durham. The town stands 2 miles NNW of Winston station on the N.E.R., and 9 SW of Bishop Auckland. It is a seat of petty sessions, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington. The township comprises 2004 acres; population, 1307. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. The parish includes also the townships of Raby and Keverston and Shotton and Langleydale, and the greater part of Cleatham. Lord Barnard is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage, with the rectory of Cockfield annexed, in the diocese of Durham; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, Lord Barnard. The church is partly Saxon, Norman, Early English, and partly Perpendicular, was restored in 1849, and contains sedilia, oak stalls, and rich monuments of two Earls of Westmorland and a Duke and Duchess of Cleveland. There are Congregational, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan chapels, a library with newsroom, a police station,, a memorial hall, and twelve almshouses, gifts of Henry, second Duke of Cleveland.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Staindrop St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Staindrop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Staindrop (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Staindrop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: