South Bedburn, Durham
Bedburn, South, a township in Hamsterley parish, Durham, on the Bedburn rivulet, 3½ miles from the Wealdale railway, and 7½ W of Bishop-Auckland. Acreage, 10,046; population, 300. There are the remains of a Roman encampment here. Hoppyland Park, Dryderdale Hall, Pillmore Hall, and Scliull Hall are the principal seats in the neighbourhood.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Auckland St Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for South Bedburn from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bedburn, South)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: