Silksworth, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Bishop Wearmouth parish, Durham, 3½ miles S by W of Sunderland. There is a post office under Sunderiand; money order and telegraph office, New Silksworth. Acreage of township, 1994; population, 426. There is a parish council of seven members. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1868, and comprises the townships of Silksworth and Tunstall; population, 4905. Silksworth Hall and Silksworth House are chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop. The church was erected in 1871, is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and bell turret. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and a lay mission room, a church institute, a drill hall, and a miners' hall, opened in. 1893, consisting of a hall and reading, billiard, recreation, and committee rooms.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Bishop Wearmouth|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Silksworth from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: