Shincliffe, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish, in Durham. The village stands on the river Wear, 2 miles SE of Durham, has a station at Shincliffe Colliery, and a post office under Durham; money order office, Shincliffe Colliery; telegraph office, Durham. The township comprises 1379 acres; population, 640. The population has much decreased in recent years in consequence of the closing of the colliery. There is a parish council consisting of seven members. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1831. Population, 704. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £230 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1833, is in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, and western tower with spire. There are Wesleyan, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shincliffe from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Shincliffe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: