Sherburn House or Sherburn Hospital, Durham
Sherburn House or Sherburn Hospital, ecclesiastically extra-parochial, a township in Durham, with a station on the N.E.R., 3 miles ESE of Durham. Post town, Durham; money order and telegraph office, Sherburn. Acreage, 740; population, 217. A magnificent lepers' hospital was founded here in 1181 by Bishop Pudsey, was almost entirely destroyed in 1300by the Scots, was reconstructed as almshouses by Bishop Langley in 1429, was rebuilt in 1759 and enlarged in 1819, and serves for a master, fifteen resident almsmen, and fifteen out-pensioners who receive eight shillings per week. The chapel was destroyed by fire in 1864, but was carefully restored, and consists of chancel, nave, and tower. There isa dispensary attached to the hospital. The income from the charity is about £8000 per annum.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherburn House or Sherburn Hospital from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Sherburn House or Hospital)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: