Sherburn, a township, with a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in Pittington parish, Durham, with a station, called Sherburn Colliery, on the N.E.R., 2½ miles E of Durham. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Durham. The township includes the colliery village of Sherburn Hill. Acreage, 1310; population, 2988; of the ecclesiastical parish, 1397. The township of Sherburn, which includes part of the ecclesiastical parish of Shadforth, has a parish council of eleven members. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. Coal is extensively worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £255 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church was built in 1872, is in the Early Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, and a tower. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a public reading-room.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherburn from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherburn are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: