Satley, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish formed from the parishes of Lanchester, Chester-le-Street, and Ebchester, Durham. The village stands 3 miles N of Tow Law railway station, and 4 SW of Lanchester, and has a post office under Tow Law (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Tow Law. The township comprises 3349 acres; population, 295. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the townships of Cornsay, Butsfield, and Hedleyhope. Population, 2288. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £342 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is in the Early English style; consists of chancel, nave, and western tower; and was thoroughly restored in 1870-71. There is a school with a small endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Lanchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Satley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Satley)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Satley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: