UK Genealogy Archives logo

Ryton Woodside, Durham

Historical Description

Ryton Woodside, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Ryton parish, Durham, adjacent to Ryton township. There is a post office at Greenside under Ryton (R.S.O.); money order office, Emma Colliery at Crawcrook; telegraph office, Ryton. The township includes the village of Greenside, and comprises 2890 acres; population, 1106. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. There is a colliery. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1886, and bears the name of Greenside. It comprises the townships of Ryton Woodside and Crawcrook and part of Ryton township. Population, 2679. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £283 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Ryton. The church is in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, S porch, and a bell-cote. There is a Reformed Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishRyton 
Poor Law unionGateshead 
WardChester 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Ryton Woodside from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Ryton Woodside are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

DistrictGateshead
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtNE40
Post TownRyton