UK Genealogy Archives logo

Redmarshall, Durham

Historical Description

Redmarshall, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The township lies 1 mile SW by S of Carlton railway station, and 4½ miles WNW of Stockton-on-Tees. There is a post office at Carlton railway station under Ferryhill; money order office, Carlton Ironworks; telegraph office, Stockton-on-Tees. Acreage of the township, 875; population, 78; of the ecclesiastical parish, 295. The Marquis of Londonderry, K.G., is lord of the manor. The parish contains also the township of Carlton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £314 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church has a Norman chancel-arch, nave, S transept, and an embattled western tower; and contains three Later English sedilia, and an alabaster altar-tomb of T. Langton (who died in 1417) and his wife. It was thoroughly restored in 1893, when it was re-roofed and several new windows were inserted. There is a Wesleyan chapel at Carlton.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishRed-Marshall St. Cuthbert 
Poor Law unionStockton 
WardSedgefield 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Redmarshall from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Redmarshall are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyStockton-on-Tees
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtTS21
Post TownStockton-On-Tees