Preston on Tees, Durham
Preston-on-Tees, a village and a township in Stockton-npon-Tees parish, Durham, on the river Tees and the N.E.R., 3 miles SW of Stockton, and a quarter of a mile from Eagles-cliffe railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Stockton. Acreage of township, 1136, of which 18 are water; population, 156. The Whinstone Dyke enters; Durham at this point. Preston Hall is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Stockton upon Tees|
|Poor Law union||Stockton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Preston on Tees from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Preston-upon-Tees)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: