Old Park, Durham
Old Park, a township in Whitworth parish, Durham, 2½ miles NE of Bishop Auckland, and half a mile from Byers Green station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bishop Auckland. Acreage, 414; population, 902. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor. A mansion here formerly belonged to the Wharton family, bat now belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. It was rebuilt by Dr Wharton, and was frequently visited in his time by the poet Gray. Bishop Gray, afterwards Metropolitan of South Africa, lived here while incumbent of Whitworth. There is an iron church erected in 1876.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Auckland St Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Old Park from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: