Offerton, a township in Penshaw ecclesiastical parish, Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham, near the river Wear, 4 miles W by S of Sunderland, and 1½ mile from Hylton station on the N.E.R. Post town, Sunderland; money order and telegraph office, Hylton. Acreage, including part of the hamlet of Cox Green, 928 of land and 13 of water; population, 287. The Earl of Durham is lord of the manor and principal landowner.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Houghton le Spring|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Offerton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Offerton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: