Newton Cap, Durham
Newton Cap, a township in Auckland St Andrew parish, Durham, on the river Wear, half a mile NW of Bishop Auckland, with which it is connected by a bridge. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bishop Auckland. Acreage, 1279 of land and 24 of water; population, 1256. The manor belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. There are an iron church and a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Auckland|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newton Cap from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: