UK Genealogy Archives logo

Newton Bewley, Durham

Historical Description

Newton Bewley, a township in Wolviston ecclesiastical parish, Billingham civil parish, Durham, 5½ miles NNE of Stockton-upon-Tees, and 2¼ from Billingham station on the N.E.R. Post town, Stockton; money order office, Wolviston; telegraph office, Norton. Acreage, 1564; population, 126. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Durham. A seat and an entrenched court-house of the Prior of Durham were here.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Civil parishBillingham 
Poor Law unionStockton-upon-Tees 
WardStockton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Newton Bewley from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Newton Bewley are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyHartlepool
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtTS22
Post TownBillingham