Newbiggin, a village and a township in Middleton-in-Teesdale parish, Durham, on the river Tees, at the influx of Bowless Burn, and at the boundary with Yorkshire, 2 miles NW of Middleton station on the N.E.R. There is a post office under Darlington; money order and telegraph office, Middleton-in-Teesdale. Acreage of township, 4639, of which 24 are water; population, 476. Lord Barnard is lord of the manor and principal landowner. Much of the surface is moorish upland. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Middleton in Teesdale|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newbiggin from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: