Neasham, a village and a township in Hurworth parish, Durham, on the river Tees, at the boundary with Yorkshire, 4 miles SE of Darlington, and 2 from Dinsdale station on the N.E.R. There is a ferry on the Tees, and a post and money order office under Darlington; telegraph office, Hurworth. Acreage of township, 1634; population, 335. The monks who bore the body of St Cuthbert crossed the Tees by a ford here on their way to Ripon. A Benedictine nunnery was founded here by tie Dacres before the time of Henry II., and is now represented by the foundations only. Neasham Abbey commands extensive and beautiful views.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Neasham from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Neasham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: