Morton Grange, Durham
Morton Grange, a township in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham, with a station at Fence Houses on the N.E.R., 5½ miles NNE of Durham. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Fence Houses. Acreage, including Fence Houses, 462; population, 209. The manor belongs to the Earl of Durham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Houghton le Spring|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Morton Grange from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Morton-Grange)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Morton Grange are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: