Long Wittenham, Berkshire
Wittenham, Long, a parish, with a village, in Berks, on the Thames, 2 miles SE from Culham station on the G.W.R., and 5 NW of Wallingford. It has a post office under Abingdon; money order office, Dorchester; telegraph office, Clifton Hampden. Acreage, 2275; population, 477. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The manor belongs to St John's College, Oxford. The Manor House is a chief residence. An ancient cross, originally erected in Saxon times, which stands in the village, has been restored, and there are also remains of a Saxon burial-place. Some Roman remains were found in 1893. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Patron, Exeter College, Oxford. The church is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, from Norman to Elizabethan, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, S porch, and an embattled western tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Wittenham All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wallingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1561 to 1629; from this date to 1726 the registers are missing.
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English, Decorated, Late Perpendicular and Elizabethan styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays on the south side, and three on the north, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, 75 feet high, and containing 6 bells, re-cast in 1768: the church was restored and re-seated in 1850, the chancel being rebuilt by the rector and Fellows of Exeter College, Oxford: the stained east window, placed in 1866, is a memorial to Lieut. James Henry Clutterbuck, 5th Fusiliers, son of a former vicar, who was murdered in Ireland, and in the north aisle are memorial windows to George Max Lambert esq. (1892) and to the Rev. J. C. Clutterbuck M.A. vicar 1830-1885; and in 1908 to Mrs. Louisa Clutterbuck (ætat. 100 years), widow of the Rev. James C. Clutterbuck, a former vicar of Long Wittenham: the organ was provided about 1879: in the chapel on the south side is a very curious piscina, with trefoiled arch, the upper part of which is covered by figures of angels with outspread wings; and over this is another arch with corbels: along the chamfered edge in front of the piscina lies the small cross-legged figure of a knight in mail armour and cyclas of the 13th century: the right hand holds a naked sword, and on the same arm lies a small shield: the north aisle also retains a piscina with a small canopied niche on one side of it: the font is of lead, circular in shape, ornamented with small circles of foliage and a row of figures under pointed arches, and stands on a massive stone base or pedestal of Transition Norman date: there are 300 sittings.
Long Wittenham was in Wallingford Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Wittenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wittenham, Long, or Earls (All Saints))
- Kelly's Directory of Berkshire, 1915
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Long Wittenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.