Moorsley, a township in Houghton-le-Spring parish, Durham, 4f miles NE of Durham, and U mile from Hetton station on the N.E.E. Post town, Fence Houses; telegraph office, Hetton-le-Hole. Acreage, 603; population, 1108. The Dean and Chapter of Durham are lords of the manor. Some of the inhabitants are employed in collieries, quarries, and firebrick works. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a mission chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Civil parish||Houghton le Spring|
|Poor Law union||Houghton-le-Spring|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Moorsley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: