UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Monk Hesledon, Durham

Historical Description

Monk Hesledon, a township and a parish in Durham. The township stands on the side of a deep wooded valley, 1½ mile from the sea, 1 from Castle Eden station on the N.E.R., and 5½ miles NW of Hartlepool. It includes Castle Eden Colliery, and comprises 2514 acres of land and 249 of water and foreshore; population, 3819. The parish contains also the townships of Button Henry and Sheraton-with-Hulam. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Castle Eden (R.S.O.) Acreage, 6884; population, 7143. Hardwicke Hall is a chief residence. The livings of St Mary and St John are vicarages in the diocese of Durham; net value of St Mary's, £350 with residence. Patron, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. Gross value of St John's, £216. Patron, the Bishop. The parish church (St Mary's) is a small ancient building, and has a bell-turret The church of St John, erected in 1882, is a building in the Early English style. Populations of the ecclesiastical parishes are 1008 and 3544 respectively. There are also Wesleyan, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodist chapels, a literary institute, a cemetery under the control of a burial board, and a police station.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishMonk Hesleton St. Mary 
Poor Law unionEasington 
WardEasington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Monk Hesledon from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

Advertisement

Advertisement