Middleton St George, Durham
Middleton St George, a village and a parish in Durham. The village stands on the river Tees, at the boundarywith Yorkshire, near Dinsdale Spa, half a mile S of Dinsdale station on the Darlington and Stockton railway, and 4¼ miles ESE of Darlington. It consists of a row of well-built houses, extending nearly half a mile, together with two good hotels; was erected chiefly for the accommodation of visitors to Dinsdale Spa; communicates by omnibus with the railway station of Dinsdale; and has a post office (R.S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Fighting Cocks. The parish contains the village of Middleton-One-Row, the hamlet ofOak Tree, and part of the hamlet of Fighting Cocks. Acreage, 2517; population of the civil parish, 870; of the ecclesiastical, 853. The manor belongs to the Cocks family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £74. The church stands near the village, is small and plain, and consists of nave, chancel, and a tower with pinnacles added in 1883; it was restored and reseated in 1889. A chapel of ease was erected in 1870-71 at a cost of about £2000, and is a building of stone in the Early English style. There is a Free Methodist chapel at Middleton-One-Row and a Wesleyan chapel at Fighting Cocks.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Middleton St George are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: