UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Middleton in Teesdale, Durham

Historical Description

Middleton-in-Teesdale, a small town, a township, and a parish in Durham. The town stands on the river Tees, at the terminus of the Tees Valley railway, and at the boundary with Yorkshire, 9 miles NW of Barnard Castle; has a station on the N.E.R.; is irregularly built and singn-larly situated, on the sides of hills, around an extensive green at their base; is environed by lead mines, chiefly belonging to Lord Barnard. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Darlington, two good inns, a bank, a town-hall, a market-house, a church, three dissenting chapels, a mechanics' institute with reading-room and library, a weekly market on Saturday, and fairs on the third Thursday of April, and the second Thursday of Sept. and Nov. The church was rebuilt in 1878, and presents the peculiarity of having a detached bell-tower. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Primitive Methodist chapels. The town is a good centre for visiting the romantic scenery of Upper Teesdale, including the famous cataracts of High Force and Caldron Snout. Baths and wash-houses for the workmen of neighbouring lead-mines, and for the public, were built in 1869. The township comprises 10,494 acres; population, 2008; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2484. The Duke of Cleveland is lord of the manor. The parish contains also the townships of Egglestone, New-biggin, and Forest and Frith. The surface on the S border, along the course of the Tees, is picturesque. Wynch Bridge, about 2 miles above the town, spans the river across a rocky chasm 60 feet deep; -is a slight and rocking structure on thesuspension principle; and succeeded a still slighter one constructed about 1741, and supposed to be the earliest suspension bridge in Europe. The river, at the chasm, first goes wildly round reefs of basalt, and then rushes down a cataract in sheets of foam. The surface N of the town is wild and moorish, and includes a large tract called Middleton Common. The lead-mines are partly in Middleton township, but chiefly in Egglestone, and they are worked by levels or bushings. Large quantities of pig-lead are sent annually from Teesdale by rail from the depot at Romaldkirk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £365 with residence. Patron, the Crown.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Ecclesiastical parishMiddleton-in-Teesdale St. Mary 
Poor Law unionTeesdale 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Middleton in Teesdale from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Middleton in Teesdale are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyDurham

Advertisement

Advertisement