Middleton, a place in Stranton parish, Durham, 1 mile from West Hartlepool, of which it now forms a part. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under West Hartlepool. There are extensive ironworks, a shipbuilding yard, and other branches of shipbuilding are carried on. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. See WEST HARTLEPOOL.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Middleton St. George|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Middleton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Middleton (St. George))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Middleton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: