UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Middlestone, Durham

Historical Description

Middlestone, a township in Morrington parish, Durham, 3: miles ENE of Bishop Auckland, and 1½ mile from Coun-don station on the N.E.R. The township includes the hamlet of Leasingthome, which has a post office under Bishop Auckland; money order and telegraph office, Coundon. Acreage, 893; population, 1941. The Dean and Chapter of Durham are lords of the manor. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and also a coal mine.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyCounty Durham 
Poor Law unionAuckland 
WardDarlington 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Middlestone from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Middlestone are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online:

CountyCounty Durham
RegionNorth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtDL14
Post TownBishop Auckland

Advertisement

Advertisement