Marwood, formerly a township in Gainford parish, Durham, but in 1884 it was amalgamated with Barnard Castle. Vestiges of an ancient town of Marwood, once a place of considerable importance, are on an eminence adjoining Barnard Castle. Remains exist of an old chapel. The chase or park of Marwood, which extends along the N bank of the river Tees, was purchased from the grantees of the Crown by Sir Henry Vane, and is now the property of the Duke of Cleveland and others.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Marwood from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: