Lumley, an ecclesiastical parish in Chester-le-Street parish, Durham, on Lumley Beck, an affluent of the river Wear, 2 miles NW of Fence Houses railway station, and 3 SE of Chester-le-Street. It consists of the townships of Great Lumley and Little Lumley, the former of which has a post office under Fence Houses; money order and telegraph office, Fence Houses. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1862. Population, 2484. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; net value, £294. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church was built in 1859, and is in the Decorated English style. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, and almshouses for twelve widows, founded in the 17th century, and other charities.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: