Low Dinsdale, Durham
Dinsdale, Low, a small village and a parish in Durham, on the river Tees, with a station on a branch of the N.E.R., 5 miles SE of Darlington. Post town, Middleton-One-Row, under Darlington; money order office, Fighting Cocks. Acreage, 1177; population, 221. The manor belonged once to the Surtees family, and was the birthplace of Place the artist. There is a sulphur spa of much repute in skin. diseases here, and good baths and a magnificent hotel are in. its neighbourhood. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £210. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is an ancient one, erected in 1196 on the site of a Saxon church, in the Early English style, and was restored in 1876, when the remains of a fine churchyard cross of Saxon origin were discovered.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Low Dinsdale St. John|
|Poor Law union||Darlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Low Dinsdale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dinsdale, Low (St. John))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Low Dinsdale are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: