Long Newton, Durham
Newton, Long, a village and a parish in Durham. The village stands 3 miles from Yarm station on the N.E.R., and 5 SW by W of Stockton, and has a post office under Darlington; money order office, Sadberge; telegraph office, Fighting Cocks. The parish comprises 4312 acres; population, 287; of the ecclesiastical parish, 304. The manor belongs to the Marquis of Londonderry. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham; net value, £328 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church was rebuilt in 1857, has on the N side of the chancel a mausoleum belonging to the family of the Marquis of Londonderry. It is a fine architectural piece of work, has a stone groined roof, and the windows are filled with stained glass. It contains an exceedingly fine monument to The grandfather of the present Marquis, who died in 1854. There are also several monuments to the Vanes.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Long Newton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Stockton-upon-Tees|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Long Newton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newton, Long (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: