Langleydale with Shotton, Durham
Langleydale-with-Shotton, a township in Staindrop parish, Durham, on a beadstream of the river Gauuless, 5 miles N of Bamard Castle, which is the nearest railway station. Acreage, 4660; population, 219. Baron Barnard is lord of the manor and sole landowner. Much of the land is common, and portions of it present wild spots of forest scenery. Lead ore has been smelted here, to the extent of producing about 400 pigs of lead and 4000 ounces of silver weekly. There is an ancient tower, known as the Lady's Tower, formerly an outpost of Eaby Castle, and associated with the life of the last of the Earls of Westmorland, Charles Xeville.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Poor Law union||Teesdale|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langleydale with Shotton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langley-Dale, with Shotton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: