Kelloe, a village, a township, and a parish in Durham. The township lies 6½ miles SE of Durham, and 1½ mile from Coxhoe Bridge station on the N.E.R., and has a post and money order office under Coxhoe (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Coxhoe. Acreage, 1596; population of township, 976; of the ecclesiastical parish, 2570. The manor belonged anciently to the Kellaws or Kellows, one of whom, Richard Kellow, became Bishop of Durham in 1311, and it took its name from them, and now belongs to the Marquis of Londonderry, who is the principal landowner. The parish contains also the townships of Thomley, Wingate, Coxhoe, and Cassop-cum-Quarrington. Coxhoe Hall is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Durham; gross value, £1000 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is Decorated English, has a chancel of 1854, with a memorial window to Miss Wood, and it was founded by the Kellaws as a chantry. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in a large colliery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ancient County||County Durham|
|Ecclesiastical parish||Kelloe St. Helen|
|Poor Law union||Durham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Kelloe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Kelloe (St. Helen))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for County Durham is available to browse.
Online maps of Kelloe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering county Durham online: